Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Facebook and Blogging

I gave up Facebook for Lent. And it is funny - I am one of quite a few people I know who has. There may be more people, but alas, I have not been on Facebook to see who has. :)
I thought it was important for me to do so because the time I have been wasting on that site is too much. I used to blog once upon a time :), but haven't really since Facebook became a part of my life. So much easier to read other people's updates and see what they are doing and not connect in any way myself. I don't update my status a lot, unless I would like someone to give me recommendations since we moved, or when life is a little rough so I can have someone commiserate with me. I used to love blogging, I felt more real and heartfelt on here than I ever felt on Facebook.
So, yesterday I actually read some people's blogs. And looked at some photo blogs. I love photo blogs - all those creative people out there with interesting ways and ideas for capturing others lives and memories. One blog I spent a lot of time on was my friend's photo-a-day blog. She captures and captions a photo each day of her family. Then when the year is over, she has it printed into a book. What a great way to keep focussed on the little moments. And to pay attention to what is interesting your children, to remember the little things that they are into, because those things seem to change week by week.
I have decided to do this myself. I don't know if I will blog the photos, or share them if I do, but I am going to take a picture daily of my family. I am so thankful for them and want to be more expressive about that. Hopefully I will so grow and stretch as a photographer in the process. I seem to have forgotten everything I learnt so long ago and rely on my settings far too often.
I always think I should have some sort of pithy thing to say at the end of a post. Much like how I feel like a status update I put on Facebook should be witty or significant. But I don't find myself pithy or witty, which is probably why I don't post that often. Hopefully it doesn't stop my blogging again too.

2 comments:

Heather M. said...

yay! it's so good to see you blogging again! and i'd love it if you shared your photos. :)

RLE said...

It was your photo-a-day blog that got me inspired to take more pictures. S far - two days running! :)