Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Kindergarten, not yet

I am feeling better about keeping R at home for another year. Part of what makes me feel better is that M and I made the decision for sure this morning. I'll tell you why I have been so stressed about it. Jobina commented on the last post that in MB at least the Kindergarten curriculum has been "dumbed down" so much that going into grade 1 and not having done Kindergarten is OK. I actually have been hearing that here in Calgary the Kindergarten curriculum is closer to the grade 1 curriculum - like kids know how to read and are expected to write "short" stories (one to two sentences) by the end of kindergarten, as well as have math skills and stuff, so not sure if AB is more focused on that or what. Most kids know how to write their name, trace letters, etc before starting K, and our son does not and I never want him to feel like he is not as smart as the other kids who could be almost a whole year older than him.
I spent a lot of today calling around seeing if there are any spots available in a preschool or junior K for him and I found a couple of good schools that he could go to - so I am feeling more relieved and feel like I can actually leave for the next 5 days like I planned to.
Well, off to pack! I'll write more when I get back.

No comments: