Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fun Run!

So this morning was my very first run - the "Start to Sweat to Stop the Traffic" run to raise money and awareness for human trafficking. I had so much fun! I am definitely doing another run sometime. I felt so good afterward, part of which was the gorgeous blue sky and the other part was the adrenaline my body has been lacking from not getting exercise lately. Another part was that it was such a great cause and just amazing seeing all the people there to do their part.
I love the ladies in my "Stopping Traffick" group - there was 4 of us from the group, plus one friend of one of the girls - interesting fact was that Y (the friend) lived across the street from a lady who they busted last fall for running a brothel out of her home. That lady has been charged with human trafficking as well as running a bawdy house. Y said she felt naive about not having had a clue about this going on right across the street from her. We don't think about such things going on here in Canada, but they do, and we need to be aware so that we can fight it, together. But that is another post, which I am going to be doing. Just not today. :)
So I ran my 3 km loop with Y and T - they were so fun to run with, encouraging, slowed down a bit when I needed it. I had popped a rib out of place a couple of weeks ago and my intercostals had been giving me some grief, so the deep breathing needed for running was not happening. 3 kms was just the length I needed and the last 10:1 we did was awesome. Y and T continued and did good. My good friend, A as well as J did amazing - they ran the 6 km really fast. I was so proud of us all.
I found out this evening that the run raised $12,693.50 with over 50 people on the course - that included kids and adults. My friends who organized the run had their 6 year old run and raise his own money - he apparently raised more than his Dad, who raised over $500. Awesome!

No comments: